Advantages of Algae Biofuel
Algae are some of the fastest growing plants in the world. Oil is Almost 50 percent of algae weight. That oil lipis can be used to make biodiesel fuel for all kinds of vehicles. Algae fuel, also called algal fuel or Рѕilgae is member of the third generation biofuels.
Here I am listing the most obvious advantages of biofuels production from algae:
- Compared to other biofuels most of them made from crops – algae is growing much faster and contains much more energy per unit of weight.
- Algae produces 30-100 times more oil per acre than corn and soybeans
- Algae biofuel contains NO sulfur
- MicroAlgae* biofuel is non-toxic
- MicroAlgae biofuel is highly biodegradable
- Existing engines can use MicroAlgae biofuel without modification
- MicroAlgae biofuel can be mixed with conventional petroleum at any ratio. As a result, this biofuel can use existing distribution infrastructure.
- Placing algae plants near carbon producing facilities like regular, power plants, or manufacturing plants could sequester the CO2 they create and use those emissions to help grow the algae. Algae actually need the C02 for the process of photosynthesis. A bioreactor built in the right way can have the added benefit of preventing carbon dioxide emissions, nitrogen oxide and sulfur oxide, from entering the atmosphere.
(*when talking about biofuels “algae” is a synonym of “MicroAlgae”)
Plant physiologist Glen Kertz believes algae can some day be competitive as a source for biofuel.
Currently most of the research for finding an efficient algal-oil production is done in the private sector. Hopefully this kind of biofuel production will become an effective method by which to produce enough automotive fuel to replace current world gasoline usage.
- Next Generation Biofuels Presented By PetroAlgae At World Biofuels Markets 09
PetroAlgae Takes Its Message of Commercialization of Next Generation Biofuels to World...
- Towards Sustainable Production of Biofuels from Microalgae
Renewable and carbon neutral biofuels are necessary for environmental and economic sustainability....
- Algae-Fueled Car Finishes 3750 Miles of Cross Country Tour
Fueled by Sapphire Energy, Algaeus Demonstrates Reality of New Fuel Source. Indicating...
- Algae Economics – Is It Possible?
Algae is considered as one of the renewable energy sources of the...