Renewable Energy Sources – Technology Comparison:
|Fossil Fuel||Onshore Wind||Offshore Wind||Solar|
|Energy Density||Very High||Low||Moderate||Low|
|Predictability||Dispatchable||Low except in some sites||Moderate||Unpredictable except in some sites|
|Load Factor||50% – 90%||25% – 35%||25% – 35%||10% – 20%|
|Visual Impact||Very High||Moderate||Low||Unobtrusive|
|Potential Sites||Extensive but permitting process can be lengthy||Limited||Limited in US, Moderate in Europe||Limited for High Energy Density, Extensive for low to Moderate Density|
|Cost* Per Kilowatt Hour Remote Power||N/A||9 – 10¢||16¢||25 – 50¢|
|Cost* Per Kilowatt Hour “ Utility Power||4¢||4 -5¢||7 – 9¢||10 – 25¢|
* These costs assume high production volume. Subsidies, credits, grants will further reduce costs.
- How will be Electrical Power Generated in the future?
Generating electrical power in the future: how will we do it? In...
- 5 Factors Driving The Efficiency Of Solar Energy
What is the efficiency and cost of a general photovoltaic(PV) solar cell...
- Wind Energy – Obstacles And Opportunities?
Could wind energy really be a viable alternative to conventional power generation?...
- Turby – The Wind Turbine For The Built-up Environment
This wind turbine, especially designed for use in the well developed areas...